There are number of banks in India and are classified as Nationalized, Private and Co-operative Banks. Banks offer various services like – FD’s, savings a/c, current a/c, providing loans and more..
Study is based on -
- Number of branches and ATM’s
- Net Profit
Net Profit is taken as the main parameter to determine the top 5 banks. If the bank is earning more profits and has fewer branches we term that bank Smarter compared to other as it saves on it’s operation cost. It can be assumed that the bank then would be investing more on technology. Note- we have not taken into consideration the current assets managed by the banks listed below.
Here is a list of Top 5 Banks in India:
- State Bank of India (SBI) - Largest bank in India. Has 21,500 branches (includes associated bank branches and overseas branches). It’s revenue for 2012 were 36.950 billion USD and profits were 3.202 billion USD. It’s owned by Government of India and it’s current chairman is Pratip Chaudhuri. Know more on wikipedia page.
- ICICI Bank - The bank has 2883 branches globally and has about 10,000 ATM’s in India. K. V. Kamath is the Chairman of ICICI bank and Chanda Kochhar is current MD & CEO of the bank. It’s revenue for 2012 were 13.52 billion USD and profit of 1.597 billion USD.
- HDFC Bank - Second largest private bank and third largest bank in India. It’s revenue are 6.487 billion USD and profits are US$ 978.3 million. Mr Aditya Puri is the current MD of the bank. HDFC Bank has 2,544 branches and over 10,000 ATMs. Kow more on wikipedia.
- Bank of Baroda – BOB is a PSU bank. It is the highest profit-making public sector undertaking (PSU) bank in India and the second largest PSU bank in terms of number of total business in India. It has a network of 4007 branches and 2000+ ATM’s. It’s revenues are 6.3 billion USD and net income of 955 million USD. M. D. Mallya is the current MD and chairman of the bank.
- Punjab National Bank - PNB is a government bank in India which has 5000 branches. The bank has been ranked 248th biggest bank in the world by the Bankers Almanac, London. It’s revenur in 2012 were 7.59 billion USD and net income of 914.55 million USD.